- Published on Friday, 05 October 2012 12:37
£300 - £340
Software Analyst - Windows 7 Migration Project
Analyse and assess current applications to determine suitability for migration to a Citrix Windows 7 environment.
Software Analysis - The successful candidate would be responsible for the following:
Identify the software packages that are to be delivered.
- Understand usage; some applications may have been deployed to a machine for a past user or by error so installation requirements and licence counts could be reduced
- Eliminate duplicate applications
- Perform an initial assessment of compatibility with the host infrastructure using vendor supplied information
- Determine if software upgrades are required and the potential impact in cost, infrastructure compatibility and user impact
- Determine the suitability for deployment on Citrix (App-V virtual or MSI non-virtual)
- Determine the suitability for Windows 7 deployment
- Understand any client/server elements that the package may have. Not only standard client/server but requirements for file shares, special user accounts, etc.
- Take account of existing support and maintenance processes
Identify and locate the media and include a soft copy in the 'packaging area'
Document the software installation and configuration in order the packager has a standard to follow. Ideally a core installation routine is devised and team customisations layered on top if so required
At this stage, whilst the application is understood, a test plan would be devised for UAT
User Acceptance Testing
- The test plan devised earlier would be used to confirm application functionality
- Document and address any issues
- Sign-off from the user/business
- Good communication and team working skills
- Good problem solving skills
- Experience with large scale Windows migrations
- Minimum 5 years Windows XP application support and analysis experience
- Experience with Windows XP to Windows 7 migrations would be desirable but involvement with a large organisation migration (XP or Windows 7) would be essential
- Minimum 3 years experience with supporting applications in Active Directory and Citrix (Xenapp) environment
- Willing to travel as required, to various sites in Northumberland, Essex and Suffolk